Tuesday, February 4, 2014

What's Happening with Baby E?

     So I know it has been a few weeks since I have really updated you all on the goings on inside of my hostile uterus...I feel like Meredith on Grey's when she is talking about how her uterus is all an angry and hostile place to be...that's me! I mean if we are thinking the actual process of birth will be traumatizing to E, think again. He has lived in perpetual state of hostility for the past 8 months! Anyway, I figure since I have some extra time on my hands, what with this ice day and all, it would be nice to update all of my friends, family, and prayer warriors on how things are looking for us now at 32 weeks. 

      Three weeks ago we visited the MFM doc in Fayetteville for our second appointment. We had a big long ultrasound, as per usual, and to our shock the super large hematoma, you know the one that had me on bed rest for 7 weeks, well it was completely GONE! I know right...gone as if all 9.5 cm of it had never been there all ugly and scary in the first place.  This, of course, was like the best news we could have hoped for. It made all the time sitting on my hind end away from my students, coworkers, and the rest of the world seem worth it. I mean that was the point of what felt like the never ending bed rest, to rid myself of this horrible bleed/clot whatever you want to call it, and it worked! Now, the hematoma is/was only one of the issues that we are "monitoring"(I like how doctors use that term: "We are just going to continue to monitor it closely") but it feels like a victory non the less.

     At this same appointment we got an approximate weight measurement for E. He was in the 45th percentile at 29 weeks weighing in right under 3lbs at 2lbs 14 oz. The doctor was very pleased with this information because one of our concerns is IUGR (inter-uterine growth restriction) which basically means he isn't getting what he needs whether it be nutrients, blood flow, space, etc that he needs to grow inside. In some cases they actually take the baby early because they would stand a better chance at growth outside the womb. This, thankfully, as of now is not a problem for us. We go next week for another scan and the MFM doc said if all looks good and he his still growing appropriately then he will release me to my regular OB for the duration and in his words "it should be smooth sailing." Should be...we hope. 

     I have been to see Dr. Bell a couple of time since this last MFM appointment and they have been your basic run of the mill OB appointments. We are really just keeping an eye out for symptoms of preeclampsia, since I am at increased risk for developing that because of the hematoma. So far no blood pressure issues or protein in my urine, which are two big signs of pre-e, so this is good. I see Dr. Bell next week again as well. 

     For now we are just taking it a day at a time and "monitoring" the situation the best that we can. We are so close to D-day I think all of us are starting to breathe a little easier, however, I will not be relaxed about any of this until I am holding him. 

     Every week that passes we are closer and closer to meeting our little boy and that is a very amazing thing for us. Even though I prayed and believed that this would happen for us someday, the fact that someday is most likely less than 8 weeks away hasn't really sank in to my mind yet...it seems unreal. We are truly thankful to have such a huge support system in all of you that take the time to read our blog and say a little prayer for us. Can't wait until little E is here and we can all celebrate together!

1 comment: